‘Cold War’ opens largest Sarajevo film festival

‘Cold War’ opens largest Sarajevo film festival

SARAJEVO (Reuters) – “Cold War”, by Oscar-winning Polish director Pawel Pawlikowski, will open the 24th Sarajevo Film Festival (SFF) on Friday, the largest film competition and industry platform in a region stretching from Vienna to Istanbul.

Workers prepare the red carpet for 24th Sarajevo Film Festival in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina August 9, 2018. Picture is taken August 9, 2018. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic

Launched in 1995 as an act of defiance towards the end of the 43-month siege of Sarajevo by Bosnian Serb forces, the festival has become a beacon of the Bosnian capital’s cultural survival, drawing thousands each year.

“For an independent film fan like me the festival is a fantastic opportunity to see the best productions from the region and beyond,” Biljana Savic, the Sarajevo-born Director of The Academy of Urbanism in London told Reuters.

Slideshow (2 Images) 

The SFF’s focus on the promotion of authors mainly from eastern and southeastern Europe has boosted cooperation between the Balkan countries that fought each others during the wars in the 1990s, creating a platform for reconciliation through art.

This year, a record 266 films from 56 countries will be shown, of which 52 will have their world premiers, SFF Director Mirsad Purivatra said.

Pawlikowski, who won best director at the Cannes Film Festival for the love story ‘Cold War’, is not the only Oscar winner in attendance, with Iranian film-maker and screenwriter Asghar Farhadit, twice an Academy Award winner, chairing the international jury.

The annual festival attracts thousands of visitors each year and has a significant impact on the local economy.

An independent study by British consultancy Olsberg SPI said that SFF generated $ 30.8 million for the Sarajevo economy last year.

Reporting by Daria Sito-Sucic; Editing by Patrick Johnston

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Reuters: Entertainment News

Universal Studios Investigating 'Bachelorette' Contestant For Sexual Harassment

'Bachelorette' Contestant Universal Studios Investigating For Sexual Harassment

8/8/2018 12:50 AM PDT

EXCLUSIVE

Bachelorette‘ contestant Leo Dottavio is being accused of sexual harassment when he worked as a stuntman at Universal Studios … and TMZ’s learned the studio is investigating.

Sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ … a complaint with human resources was filed Friday by someone who claims to have witnessed Leo making several women uncomfortable on the set with excessive hugging and unwanted flirting.

The complaint also mentions Leo sliding into the women’s DMs and making them uncomfortable with the conversation.

We’re told the person who filed the complaint says the alleged behavior went down at the end of 2017 when Leo worked on the “Water World” show … but before he was cast on ‘Bachelorette.’

He’d been working on “Water World” for 3 and a half years, but he’s since been taken off the show’s schedule while the investigation runs its course.

We’ve reached out to Leo who tells us he’s unaware of the new allegations.

We’re told the person who filed the complaint came forward after a former ‘Bachelor’ contestant publicly accused him of sexually harassing women more than a decade ago. Leo denied those claims.

We reached out to Universal and a spokesperson tells TMZ, “We are aware of the situation and have taken appropriate actions while the matter is under investigation.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

TMZ.com

Reggie Bush Believes In Johnny Manziel After Terrible CFL Debut

Reggie Bush DON'T GIVE UP ON MANZIEL 'I Hope He Figures It Out'

8/6/2018 6:43 AM PDT

EXCLUSIVE

Reggie Bush isn’t throwing in the towel on Johnny Manziel just yet … despite his atrocious 4-interception debut in the CFL. 

“He’s still got time,” Reggie tells TMZ Sports … “He’ll be alright.” 

Of course, Manziel’s first start in the CFL on Friday really couldn’t have gone worse — 4 picks before halftime as his Montreal Alouettes got beat up by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in a 50-11 route.

Manziel only had 4 practices with Montreal before taking over the starting role — and he was hurt by some key drops by his WRs. Johnny did flash moments of real athleticism though, so don’t abandon all hope. 

“I’m a Johnny Manziel fan so I hope he figures it out,” Bush tells TMZ Sports. 

Johnny’s next game is Saturday against Ottawa — we’ll see if Manziel can right the ship. 

Side note — Bush played with the Saints, Lions, Bills, Dolphins and 49ers … but, he only roots for ONE team these days. Check out the clip … 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

TMZ.com

Donald Trump Calls LeBron James, Don Lemon Dumb

Donald Trump Disgustingly Calls LeBron and Don Lemon … Dumb and Dumber

8/4/2018 6:47 AM PDT

Donald Trump, the man who callously separated children from their parents and forever traumatized them in the process, has viciously attacked LeBron James, the man who just opened a school for hundreds of poor children, probably saving them in the process.

The most vile President ever to hold office just tweeted, “Lebron (sic) James was just interviewed by the dumbest man on television, Don Lemon.  He made Lebron (sic) look smart, which isn’t easy to do.  I like Mike.”

LeBron was on CNN this week, unveiling plans for the I Promise School in his hometown of Akron — which has open its doors to 3rd and 4th graders, and set to expand to 1st – 8th graders by 2022.  LeBron is giving every student all sorts of benefits, from bicycles to free tuition at the Univ. of Akron.

Trump, who bumbles through speeches and brags how he is unprepared, is clearly continuing his campaign of hatred and prejudice.

What’s especially amazing … LeBron actually exercised restraint on Lemon’s show in criticizing the President.  The grossly insecure President, who is manic over and obsessed with cable news, simply cannot handle criticism and responds with wild and baseless personal attacks.

Don Lemon responded by saying, “Who’s the real dummy?  A man who puts kids in classrooms or one who puts kids in cages? #BeBest.”

Disagree with Donald Trump and join the long line of noble citizens on his Enemy’s List … a list on which it is an honor to be included. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

TMZ.com

Richard Jefferson Says Luke Walton Can Handle LeBron

Richard Jefferson Luke Walton Can Handle LeBron 'They're Both Gonna Do Great'

8/2/2018 6:49 AM PDT

EXCLUSIVE

LeBron James‘ and Luke Walton‘s former teammate, Richard Jefferson, isn’t worried about how the two guys will get along in L.A., telling TMZ Sports he thinks they will “do great” together.

Things got off to a weird start between the ‘Bron and Luke … with reports saying the two men didn’t speak for some time after James made his decision to join the Lakers.

That made some people wonder if LeBron was planning to David Blatt Walton … but, when we got Jefferson out in L.A., he said he expects everything to be just fine.

Remember, Jefferson is great friends with Walton having played college ball with Luke at Arizona … and he’s one of LeBron’s guys, having played his last few seasons in Cleveland.

So, if he says it’ll be okay, he’s gotta be right … right?

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

TMZ.com

John Cena Was 'Really In Love' with Nikki Bella, Says Ex-WWE Star JTG

John Cena Was Really In Love with Nikki Bella … Says Ex-WWE Star JTG

7/31/2018 6:46 AM PDT

EXCLUSIVE

John Cena isn’t putting on an act — he was REALLY in love with Nikka Bella and it “sucks” that she kicked him to the curb … so says ex-WWE superstar JTG

“I know John Cena was really in love with her. I’ve never seen him like that,” the former Cryme Tyme tag team member told us while sitting in a Lamborghini in Beverly Hills. 

JTG says he’s known Cena for a long time — including during his marriage to ex-wife Elizabeth Huberdeau — but explains, “I’ve never seen him head over heels for a female like he was with Nikki.”

As we previously reported, the couple decided to end their relationship for good after quasi-attempts at a reconciliation. 

JTG also had some kind words for Brian Christopher Lawler — and tells us why Grandmaster Sexay belongs in the WWE Hall of Fame. 

And, as for JTG’s wrestling future … we asked if there’s a chance he returns to WWE. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

TMZ.com

Donald Trump's Walk of Fame Star Won't Be Removed Despite Violence

Donald Trump Walk of Fame Star Will Stay Put … Despite Violence and Vandalism

7/29/2018 1:00 AM PDT

EXCLUSIVE

Donald Trump‘s Walk of Fame star has been a lightning rod for violence, but it’s going to weather the storm and stay put because cops and the group that manages the Walk of Fame don’t want it 86’d.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ … the LAPD has met with the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, and both orgs realize they’re between a rock and a hard place. They know by keeping Trump’s star front and center on the famed Blvd., it will be at the center of what has become a civil war between raging Trump and anti-Trump factions.

Here’s the problem … the Chamber and LAPD both agree it would be even worse to remove the star because that would embolden people to deface the stars of celebs they dislike. For example, if Trump’s star is removed, Trump supporters might go after Jane Fonda‘s star. And, if her star is removed, others might retaliate by going after Clint Eastwood‘s star.

So, the decision has been made to keep Trump’s star in its place, knowing it will probably be destroyed again, and possibly again … and again … and again. Even worse, the Chamber and LAPD are keenly aware the warring factions will be using the star as a battleground.

As we reported, violence erupted Thursday night where protesters punched, kicked and otherwise abused their opponents.

And, the star has been destroyed twice … most recently this week when a Trump foe went at it with a pickax.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

TMZ.com

Kristen Stewart to star in new, female-directed 'Charlie's Angels'

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – “Charlie’s Angels” are returning to the big screen next year for a third outing, this time with a female director and a multi-racial trio of women led by Kristen Stewart.

“Twilight” star Stewart, along with rising British actresses Naomi Scott and Ella Balinska, will play the lead roles in the latest movie reboot of the 1970s crime caper, to be directed by Elizabeth Banks, Sony Pictures said on Thursday.

“ ‘Charlie’s Angels,’ for me, is one of the original brands to celebrate the empowered woman since its debut in the ‘70s. This film honors the legacy of Charles Townsend and his agency while introducing a new era of modern and global Angels,”Banks said in a statement.

Banks, who also directed “Pitch Perfect 2,” is also a co-producer and co-writer and she will play the role of the avuncular Bosley, which was played by a man on both the original television series and in two movie versions.

The new “Charlie’s Angels” marks a trend in Hollywood to entrust more women with directing big budget fare, and towards ethnic diversity. Scott is of Indian descent, while Balinska is mixed race.

“Charlie’s Angels” first appeared on U.S. television in 1976, starring Farrah Fawcett, Kate Jackson, and Jaclyn Smith as sexy private detectives sent on missions by their unseen boss, Charlie Townsend.

The series spawned a 2000 movie adaptation starring Lucy Liu, Cameron Diaz and Drew Barrymore, who returned for a 2003 sequel “Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle.”

The new movie is expected to be released in September 2019 but the title and plot details were not announced.

71st Cannes Film Festival – Closing ceremony – Cannes, France, May 19, 2018. Jury member Kristen Stewart reacts. REUTERS/Stephane Mahe

Reporting by Jill Serjeant; Editing by Nick Zieminski

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Reuters: Entertainment News

Venice Film Festival to host Netflix movies, unfinished Orson Welles work

ROME (Reuters) – From westerns to the space race and the latest offerings from Oscar-winning directors, this year’s Venice Film Festival will present a rich line-up of premieres, including a host of Netflix movies and an unfinished Orson Welles work, the organizers said.

FILE PHOTO: Venice Film Festival Director Alberto Barbera poses a day before the opening of the 74th Venice Film Festival in Venice, Italy August 29, 2017. REUTERS/Alessandro Bianchi

The 75th edition of the world’s oldest film festival kicks off in late August, with some 20 movies competing for the Golden Lion Award.

Unlike May’s Cannes Film Festival, which Netflix Inc pulled out of after organizers banned its films from competition for its refusal to release them in cinemas, the Venice event will show several movies by the streaming platform.

“There are many Netflix films this year, five or six,” festival director Alberto Barbera told a news conference on Wednesday, adding that lots of filmmakers were now turning to new platforms to produce and distribute movies.

Among the Netflix distributed films in competition are the Coen brothers’ western “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” and black and white family drama “Roma” by Oscar winner Alfonso Cuaron.

“Jason Bourne” director Paul Greengrass will present his Netflix-distributed work “22 July” – about the aftermath of the 2011 massacre of 77 people in Norway by far-right militant Anders Breivik.

The organizers of the 11-day festival, which usually offers a first peak at Oscar contenders, have already announced space drama “First Man”, chronicling Neil Armstrong’s mission to become the first man to walk on the moon, as the opening film.

Highly anticipated western dark comedy “The Sisters Brothers” by Jacques Audiard, and Yorgos Lanthimos’ period piece “The Favourite” with Oscar winner Emma Stone and new “The Crown” actress Olivia Colman are also in competition.

Other contenders include “Peterloo” about the 1819 massacre in Manchester by Mike Leigh, “Napszallta” (Sunset) by Laszlo Nemes, who directed the Oscar winning “Son of Saul” and “Werk Ohne Autor” by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck.

A film about Vincent van Gogh, “At Eternity’s Gate”, and “What You Gonna Do When The World’s On fire?” about a black community in the southern United States last summer will also vie for the top prize.

Out of competition, a remake of romantic musical drama “A Star is Born” starring Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga as well as crime film “Dragged Across Concrete”, starring Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn will screen.

Netflix is also bringing Orson Welles’ unfinished “The Other Side of the Wind” to the festival out of competition. The film about movie director making a comeback was first shot in the 1970s and recently completed.

Organizers have also said veteran British actress Vanessa Redgrave will be presented with the Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement honor.

Writing by Marie-Louise Gumuchian; Editing by Hugh Lawson

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Reuters: Entertainment News

Meghan Markle's sister hints at appearing in UK Celebrity Big Brother show

LONDON (Reuters) – The half-sister of Meghan Markle, who married Britain’s Prince Harry in May, hinted on Monday she might go on the British celebrity version of the Big Brother reality show.

FILE PHOTO: Britain’s Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, applaud after Germany’s Angelique Kerber won the women’s singles final against Serena Williams of the U.S. at Wimbledon in London, Britain, July 14, 2018. REUTERS/Toby Melville/File Photo

When asked on ITV’s “Good Morning Britain” show whether it was true she was going on the reality show, Samantha Markle said: “I’ve worked in media most of my life, why would I not? Why would I stop living because I have a family issue going on?”

Asked again about whether she would appear on the show, she said: “Urm… well, I would tell you, but then I would have to kill you, so… I don’t want to find myself in locks and stocks quite frankly. It wouldn’t be becoming.”

Meghan’s half sister also made a public plea for the new British royal to reunite with her father, Thomas Markle, who missed Meghan’s wedding and made a series of contradictory public statements about whether he would attend.

“I think it’s really important for both of them that they reunite, for everyone, for our family, for the world,” she said.

“He’s very worried about her given the distance and the inability to have live communication, so he just needs to know that she’s well, she’s happy, she’s OK and to touch bases, so I hope they get to do that soon,” she told ITV’s Good Morning Britain show.

Celebrity Big Brother, which is shown on Britain’s Channel 5, is expected to be televised in August.

Meghan and Harry, sixth in line to the British throne, are known as The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Their official residence is at Kensington Palace.

Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge; editing by Michael Holden

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Reuters: Entertainment News